5/20/11

What will the doctor do for chicken pox?


What will the doctor do for chicken pox?I think my 3yr old daughter has chicken pox (they just showed up this morning) and so I made her a doc appt. for tomorrow afternoon. My question is, what will he do for it? I put some calamine lotion on her and that seemed to help a little but after about an hour she was itching again. She's really grumpy too... you can tell she doesn't feel good. I don't have a thermometer but she feels a little warm like she might have a slight fever. She's had the chicken pox vaccine though, but I've been told she can still get them. What else can I do to make her feel better? She's sleeping now but I just wanted some tips lol. Also I've had the chicken pox before when I was little so I know I'm alright, but my husband (her daddy) has never had them before. What's the likely hood that he'll get them and how severe do you think they will be if he does get them? He's all worried because someone told him that chicken pox can be fatal in adults... Thanks! =)
O my husband talked to the doctor (not the nurse or the receptionist but the actual doctor) over the phone and he wants her to come in.
No my doctor is not wanting to just get paid. He is a great doctor that has plenty of patients besides us. WebMD says on there that it is for informational purposes only and not intended to replace your own doctor.

Answer by Tier 3 Shane
How is it treated?
Most healthy children and adults need only home treatment for chickenpox. Home treatment includes resting and taking medicines to reduce fever and itching. You also can soak in oatmeal baths to help with itching.


This includes taking acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) or ibuprofen (such as Advil) to reduce fever and discomfort. If you are not sure about the amount of medicine to give your child, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. (Do not give aspirin to people younger than 20 because of the risk of Reye's syndrome).

Healthy children with chickenpox symptoms may not need to visit a doctor. You may be able to describe your child's symptoms to the doctor over the phone. Then your child won't have to leave the house and risk spreading the virus to others. But it is important to check with your doctor to find out if he or she wants to see your child.

Teenagers, adults, pregnant women, and people with health problems need to see a doctor for chickenpox. This is especially important for pregnant women, since chickenpox during early pregnancy can cause birth defects. Call first to make an appointment and to discuss whether you need to take any steps to avoid spreading the virus when you arrive. For example, office staff may take you straight to an exam room, rather than have you wait in the lobby.



--------->>
Oh yeah? May not be pox then. But, the economy is bad, maybe he wants to get paid. WebMD only has a board room full of Harvard and Yale type Doctors who have provided this information based on their years of study.

But please take her & him to the Doctor, I don't want you blaming me or webmd if you decided not to and something bad happened. :|

Answer by starlightstrm
You can make her a warm oatmeal bath it tends to cool the itchiness and works better than the calamine from what I remember when I had the pox the likelihood your hubby will get them is unfortunately pretty high my father got it when I had them when I was small from me they are more itchy and can cause high fevers in adults but not fatal they are also called shingles I believe when an adult gets them.

Answer by Rigby
I remember when I got chicken pox as a kid (I was 6) my parents gave me an oatmeal bath. It helped a lot. I still remember how much better it felt almost 10 years later. haha

You can make your own oatmeal bath, I found this online about how:

"You'll need a blender, food processor or coffee grinder and 1 cup of oatmeal. You can use instant oatmeal (unflavored), quick oats or slow cooking oats- all work equally as well. For babies, you'll only need about 1/3 cup per bath.

Blend or process the oats on the highest setting until you have a very fine, consistent powder. To test the colloid property of the oats, stir 1 tablespoon oats into a glass of warm water. If the oats readily absorb the water and give it a milky look and a silky feel, you've blended long enough. "

From:
http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/oatmealbath.htm

As for Dad, yes, chicken pox is much more dangerous in adults, He can still get the vaccine, it can help.

Check out this webpage:
http://chickenpox.emedtv.com/chickenpox/adult-chickenpox-p2.html

Answer by Boys have rights too
It's a virus, there is nothing the doc can do. Calamine lotion is great for pox as it dries them up and eases itching and isn't full of chemicals. You could also try mixing one part tea tree oil with two parts olive oil and lightly dabbing that on the pox. Tea tree oil is an antiseptic so it will help keep the sores clean and it is also soothing.
FYI, no vaccine is 100%. Most of the diseases aren't dangerous in this day and age.

Answer by Rain
My husband got them when my daughter had them, and he got them terrible they were in his throat and under his finger nails, it was terrible

Add your own answer in the comments! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: What will the doctor do for chicken pox?

No comments:

Post a Comment