5/17/11

Can my 7 year old have Shingles?


Can my 7 year old have Shingles?She has never had chickenpox but got vacsonated for them when she was 5. She has a rash on her sides and up the sides of her back that she says hurts. There are no other rashes on her body. The nurse on call said her and the doctor think that shingles is the only thing they think it could be, and want me to bring her in tomarow. I just want to know if it is even possible for her to have shingles when the only exposure to the virus was a vaccine?

Answer by Ntherlites
Sure does sound like it but it could also be hives. Has she eaten something that she may be allergic to?

Answer by Jannie
Doesn't seem likely to me, but I am not a doctor. And I really think it was wrong for the nurse to give a possible diagnosis over the phone without seeing u'r daughter.
Hope all goes well tomorrow for you.

Answer by marvin
You can't be sure that she wasn't exposed somewhere beyond your knowledge. It could easily be shingles so follow the recommendations for shingles treatment. My son got that when he was about 5. Until then I never heard of it.

Answer by SAK
I guess it's possible. I'm sorry she is hurting. Please, do take her in to the dr. tomorrow. My mom had shingles once as an adult-'cause she had chicken pox as a child. There may be some kind of medicine your daughter's dr. can give her, or some pain med. Take care.

Answer by Tenn Gal
I had always thought that most people who had shingles were over 50. The site below proves me wrong.
It's a story with pictures of a child with shingles.
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/dermatlas/shingles.html

Add your own answer in the comments! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: Can my 7 year old have Shingles?

No comments:

Post a Comment