5/20/11

Can my parents get shingles from my son if he has chicken pox?


Can my parents get shingles from my son if he has chicken pox?I have been told that exposure to chicken pox can bring Varicella out of dormancy and cause Shingles in my immune compromised parents. Is this true? My parents say no, I don't want to risk it.

Answer by abacaxitoo
If your child has chickenpox, please keep him away from other humans until the scabs are gone.

Your parents are not the only ones at risk.

They would probably get chickenpox again if they are immunocompromised. Shingles is a revival ofan earlier infection

Answer by stardustme4u
My son had shingles last year.He had chicken pox when he was about three and now he is 17.I had never heard of someone so young getting shingles.His doctor said that once you have chicken pox the virus goes dormant and when you are stressed or your immunity is lowered the virus can pop back up in the form of shingles.In my sons case it was stress.

Add your own answer in the comments! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: Can my parents get shingles from my son if he has chicken pox?

No comments:

Post a Comment