5/20/11

Chicken Pox--Two part question--Effect on child AND on adult?


Chicken Pox--Two part question--Effect on child AND on adult?My daughter looks like she has just begun developing chicken pox. She was immunized a few years ago. Will she get a lesser outbreak because of the vaccine and, if so, around how long would she be contagious?

The second part of the question--When I was three, my brother and sister got chicken pox and my mother swears that I got one pock. Does anyone have an idea whether or not I might be immunized? I've heard that chicken pox in my late 30s wouldn't be much fun.

Thanks for your responses.

Answer by djk
I had the chicken pox two times in my life. The first time I was under six months old and therefore did not build a strong immunity to it. I was exposed to it throughout childhood but did not have a second outbreak until a really virulent form hit my high school. I got it when I was 17, and it was horrible. They say the worse it is the farther to your extremities it reaches. A mild case will be on your torso. In my instance I had them between my fingers and toes.

If you were already three years old when you had it you should have developed an immunity to it. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor. Your child is contagious as long as the blisters are on their body. If you are at risk, perhaps another member of your family can take care of your daughter while she is contagious. I don't think it is ever fun, but I can attest to how it seems to get worse with age.

What do you think? Answer below! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: Chicken Pox--Two part question--Effect on child AND on adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment