5/19/11

Do we have an Immunodeficiency syndrome?


Do we have an Immunodeficiency syndrome?My mother had varicella a long time ago. Then she had pneumonia and encephalitis one year after that. The encephalitis was really bad, she couldn't speak and write for one year and she had necrosis on her brain. Our medical system is quite bad. Luckily my aunt had money to buy treatment and she only has a slight speech problem - talks slower, has some lapsus. But she is fit to work and her judgment and movement are normal. After 7 years she had necrosis on her femur head, she did surgery... But that's another story, it happened from the Hydrocortisone she took when ill.
I had chickenpox when I was in primary school, then, about 4-5 years later (can't recall) I had Herpes Zoster. Luckily I didn't experience postherpetic neuralgia afterwards until now, (I am 21).
Does this mean we definetly have a genetic immunodeficiency? Or isn't it a rule? Should I get tested to find out?
If we do, what other complications may we experience?
P.S. I also had a really severe case of laryngitis back then, for 2 weeks or so, where I'd choke all the time, stay in bed with a wet drape at the window, but I'm not sure that's relevant.

Answer by Blah?
It is possible, and there are genetic immunodeficiency disorders, but that is something that should be tested for. However, it's not an automatic diagnosis, and there are other factors which could cause a predisposition to infections such as the ones you mention. Herpes zoster (assume you mean shingles) at such a young age is unusual though, so I'd request follow up with the issue.

Give your answer to this question below! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: Do we have an Immunodeficiency syndrome?

No comments:

Post a Comment