5/19/11

Is Shingles considered a disease?


Is Shingles considered a disease?This may sound a bit silly and disgusting, but I was just diagnosed with shingles by my doctor. She said it doesn't go away, because the virus lives inside of my body. I've had chickenpox before, when I was about 3, so I knew it was more likely I could get shingles, but I didn't think this early in life (I'm only 15).
I want some more information on this "disease", if it's considered one. It hurts a lot, and my doctor said I will be in pain for quiet some time. How long should I wait until I can go outside, and to public places?
Any information will help! Thank you so much in advanced!

Answer by The Ween
I just got over this a few months ago. Hopefully she put you on pills for it. You can go in public too.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-symptoms

Answer by Michael
shingles is categorized as an infection, not a disease. more like a virus. its caused by another virus that is also responsible for chicken pox. so, when u got chicken pox as a child, the virus was dormant in the tissue in your spinal cord and around your brain and reactivated later as what u have now, shingles. it is contagious especially to people who have not had chicken pox. best bet as to when you can go outside to public places? check around on the internet for the different stages of the shigles and determine when itd be best for you.

Answer by TweetyBird
Shingles is a layman's term for herpes zoster. What you've said doesn't sound silly or disgusting in the least. Please don't see it that way. Although the majority of those with h. zoster develop this condition after 60, it's not that uncommon these days to see it in children, adolescents and young adults.

I believe that h. zoster is regarded as a disease just as chicken pox is. I suggest you look at several websites about it to learn more. I've started you off with 3 links to reliable sites and you'll find them below. There's no reason you can't go out in public so long as the blisters are covered with clothing and so long as you're physically comfortable enough to do so. Varicella-zoster virus (VZV) causes both chicken pox and h. zoster. The virus is in the blister fluid and direct contact with this can transmit VZV to others. But it's of concern only to those who have not already had chicken pox and to those who have not been vaccinated against it. Once the blisters have opened, dried and scabbed over, you're no longer contagious (no more fluid).

http://www.medicinenet.com/shingles/article.htm#1whatis
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/dis-faqs.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098

What do you think? Answer below! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: Is Shingles considered a disease?

No comments:

Post a Comment