5/19/11

chicken pox while pregnant, anyone know?


chicken pox while pregnant, anyone know?My 15 month old daughter might i have chicken pox, I took her to the doctor today but he said its to soon to tell, we should know by tomorrow if thats what it is.
My concern is im 18 1/2 weeks pregnant and am unsure if im have chicken pox before. the only person to know would be my mum but she has passed away.
Ive got to go for a blood test today at the hospital to find out if i have had it..
If i havent had it what does this mean for me and my unborn baby?
cathrl69
Maybe you cant mistake chicken pox, but the doctors said if thats what it is its only the start, so should know by tomorrow as it would have got worse

Answer by 27 weeks with #1
I don't think it can harm your baby, they will give you medication for it. Because, my aunt had shingles about 3 or 4 weeks ago and they said anyone can pick that up if they haven't had chicken poxs. Thank God I didn't get it, because I already had chicken pox. Good luck!

Answer by M Kerr RN L&D
If you're not immune and you do happen to catch chicken pox while you're pregnant, there's a chance that it will affect your baby and that you could get quite sick.

If you get chicken pox during the first half of pregnancy, there's a slight risk that your baby will get something called congenital varicella syndrome.

Answer by Tammy s
Hi chicken pox will not affect the baby at the stage of pregnancy your at it is normally just the first trimester it can cause problems but as your past that you should be fine. good luck xxx

Answer by cathrl69
I'm bemused by "it's too soon to tell" - chicken pox is completely unmistakable in my experience! There's nothing else with spots like it.

If you haven't had it then they can give you something to stop you catching it - I'm not sure if it's the standard vaccine or a special short term one.

If you do get it early on in pregnancy, then it can damage your baby - but I think you'd be past that point already.

Fingers crossed that you and baby are fine!

Answer by Jacqui Z
When I was about 14 weeks pregnant, my nephew got something called 5th disease (it's in the chicken pox family). My brother's a doctor, so when they found out, he told me to get checked. The dr did a simple blood test to see if I had the immunity, which I did. The waiting was horrible though!! The dr. did say that if I didn't have the immunity, there's not much that can be done about it. It's a risk if you are exposed to it before 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Just to reassure you, though, most people have had them...we just don't remember.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: chicken pox while pregnant, anyone know?

No comments:

Post a Comment