5/18/11

I'm a teenager who has the chicken pox can you please answer these questions for me?


I'm a teenager who has the chicken pox can you please answer these questions for me?1) I'm taking Acyclovir how will this help with my chicken pox exactly? it says to take for 5 days what happens if I take it longer that?
2) I haven't been itching and my spots are slowly drying. I really want to avoid going to school with crusted blisters. can I use cover up??
3) If the spots are on your face how long do they take to crust over scab and fall off?
4) its almost summer. will my spots be gone so I can wear a bikini with out gross sight of old chicken pox?
5) Is it okay for me to shampoo my hair , i have chicken pox in my scalp?
6) when is it okay for me to go to a salon and get my hair done since I have the chicken pox in my scalp?

I am a biracial female.
black and white
with caramel skin
I do not have a bunch of spots like they show online of people with chicken pox. i just have some spots here and there not everywhere.

Answer by hepmom
I can only answer one of your questions... Chicken Pox is caused by a virus which comes from the Herpesviridae family of viruses. In english, it's a herpes virus (not the STD herpes simplex, so don't freak).

Acyclovir is a herpes specific anti-viral medication which uses a viral protein to help it interfere with viral replication. Do not take it any longer than prescribed; it will not help get rid of the physical pox any faster.

The cosmetic questions I can't help you with. My expertise is with the virus.

Answer by formerly_bob
Taking Acyclovir for more than 5 days doesn't do anything to help chicken pox. It's purpose is to reduce the number and severity of the spots - once new spots have stopped appearing, its purpose is over.

There's probably no harm in covering the blisters with makeup, but it's possible that wearing makeup could irritate the blisters and cause scarring - this is much less likely if they have already scabbed over.

It usually takes about 10-14 days for the scabs to completely disappear - big ones take much longer than small ones to go away.

Wear your bikini whenever you feel like it - the spots will hardy be noticeable to other people, and even if they are, so what - how many people on the beach have perfect skin? The larger/deeper chicken pox blisters sometimes leave a small indentation that is permanent, and sometimes they end up with a different amount of skin pigment (and a slightly different color). If you wear sunscreen, the spots are less likely to become permanent or have pigment changes. Superficial blisters tend to heal completely and more quickly. Most people get a mixture of deep and superficial pox - if the Acyclovir worked, you should have few or no deep pox. You will probably have a lot of visible spots for a few weeks after the scabs disappear, a few spots will be visible all summer, and some might be permanent.

Shampooing is fine, but it's wise to avoid rubbing or removing the scab. Shampoos designed to control itching can be helpful.

You can get your hair done as soon as the scabs are gone.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Chicken Pox - Family Health Guide
Get the facts on the chickenpox vaccine, treatment, causes (varicella zoster virus, VZV), symptoms and signs (itchy, red rash).


Orignal From: I'm a teenager who has the chicken pox can you please answer these questions for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment